Last Updated: 18 Nov, 2023 | Views: 90
Other Profession(s): Business Men
Famous For: Chairman and CEO of Mediacom
Higher Education: Columbia University (BSc, MBA)
Net Worth: $8.3 Billion
Rocco Benito Commisso was born on 25 November 1949. He founded chairs and runs Mediacom Communications, the US's fifth-largest cable television provider. With revenue of $2.2 billion in 2022, the company primarily operates in midwestern and southern states. He is also the owner of ACF Fiorentina and the New York Cosmos soccer teams.
Rocco B. Commisso Career:
Rocco B. Commisso Early Life And Education
• Rocco B. Commisso migrated to the United States at the age of 12 from Calabria, Italy. In 1971, he graduated from Mount Saint Michael Academy in the Bronx with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from Columbia University. His MBA was earned at Columbia Business School in 1975.
• Rocco B. Commisso served as co-captain of Columbia's varsity football (soccer) team, was elected president of the business school student body, and received a student service award while at Columbia.
Rocco B. Commisso Began His Business Career At Pfizer Inc.
• Rocco B. Commisso began his business career at Pfizer Inc. Following graduation from Columbia Business School, he worked for Chase Manhattan Bank (now J.P. Morgan Chase) for ten years.
Rocco B. Commisso Began Working With Cable Companies
• His first job was with Chase's corporate finance department, where he dealt with cable companies and other entertainment companies.
• Later, Rocco B. Commisso headed up the media and communications lending activities for the Royal Bank of Canada.
• From 1986 to 1995, Rocco B. Commisso served as Cablevision Industries Corporation's executive vice president, chief financial officer, and director.
Rocco B. Commisso Acquired Cable Systems
• Initially, Rocco B. Commisso acquired cable systems in smaller American communities that were underserved. Mediacom became the 8th largest cable operator in the United States with annual revenues of over $1.6 billion after Commisso took it public in 2000.
• As of March 2011, Commisso owns 100% of the company. Mediacom has been named the best cable company in the US by CableFAX magazine twice since then.
Rocco B. Commisso Personal Life
• Rocco B. Commisso is married to Catherine, has two children, and lives in Saddle River, New Jersey. Mediacom's head of corporate administration is Catherine Commisso as of 2015.
Rocco B. Commisso Awards:
• Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award
• Vanguard Award for Distinguished Leadership
• Ellis Island Medal of Honour