Last Updated: 02 Jun, 2023 | Views: 125
Other Profession(s): Acoustic Engineer
Famous For: Co-Inventor Of The Foil Electret Microphone
Higher Education: Graduated
James Edward Maceo West is an American inventor and acoustician born on February 10, 1931. He is the recipient of over 250 foreign and U.S. patents for microphone production and design, as well as techniques for making polymer foil electrets. During his graduate studies, he interned at Bell Laboratories and developed the Electret microphone. His master's and bachelor's degrees in physics were completed at Temple University by 1957, but he did not graduate because he returned to Bell Laboratories to work on the microphone.
James West Career:
• James West developed the foil electret microphone while researching human hearing in 1962. Electret microphones have higher capacitance and don't require D.C. bias, unlike condenser microphones.
• A 2005 study co-authored by West and Ilene Busch-Vishniac examined the acoustic environment of hospitals and concluded that hospitals are generally too loud.
• James West has developed a device to detect pneumonia in the lungs of young children at Johns Hopkins. He is also researching stereophonic sound transmission over the Internet and new transducers as part of his research at Johns Hopkins.
• His distinguished 40-year career at Bell Laboratories culminated in 2001 with his retirement from Lucent Technologies. In addition, West received the highest honor awarded by Bell Laboratories, the Bell Laboratories Fellow.
• James West serves on the board of directors of the Baltimore-based Ingenuity Project, a non-profit that supports talented middle and high school students.
• James West has long been known for mentoring students and initiating and participating in programs encouraging minorities and women to study and pursue science, technology, mathematics, and engineering (STEM).
James West Unknown Facts:
James West has been a supporter of social justice and equality throughout his life. In addition to finding solutions to societal issues, he is committed to expanding opportunities for underrepresented groups in science and engineering.
James West has successfully juggled a fulfilling personal life with his dedication to his career and enthusiasm for creativity. In addition, his dedication to music and the arts has influenced his scientific endeavors.