Last Updated: 26 Nov, 2023 | Views: 115
Other Profession(s): Lawyer, Diplomat
Famous For: United States Special Envoy for Northern Ireland
Higher Education: Yale University (BDiv, LLB)St Antony's College, Oxford (DPhil)
Net Worth: $15 Million Approx.
Gary Hartwas born November 28, 1936 in Ottawa, Kansas, U.S. Gary Hartworked as a laborer on the railroad. He and his father changed their last name to "Hart" in 1961 because "Hart is a lot easier to remember than Hartpence. Gary Hartwon a scholarship to the Church-affiliated Bethany Nazarene College in Bethany, Oklahoma, in 1954 and graduated with a B.A. in philosophy in 1958. Gary Hart received a B.D. from Yale Divinity School in 1961 before receiving an LL.B. from Yale Law School in 1964.
Gary Hart Career:
Gary Hart Early Legal Work:
• Gary Hart became an attorney for the United States Department of Justice from 1964 to 1965, and was admitted to the Colorado and District of Columbia bars in 1965.
• Gary Hart was special assistant to the solicitor of the United States Department of the Interior from 1965 to 1967.
Gary Hart Work McGovern's 1972 presidential Campaign:
• Following the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, U.S. Senator George McGovern of South Dakota co-chaired a commission that revised the Democratic presidential nomination structure.
• Gary Hartinfluence of such old-style party bosses as Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley, who were once able to hand-pick national convention delegates and dictate the way they voted.
Gary Hart Work United States Senator:
• In 1974, Gary Hartran for the United States Senate, challenging two-term incumbent Republican Peter Dominick.
• Gary Hart was aided by Colorado's trend toward Democrats during the early 1970s.
Gary Hart United States Naval Reserve service:
• Citing the increasing likelihood of an armed conflict in the Persian Gulf and his reluctance to "stay in the Senate and Gary Hartauthorize and appropriate funds to send young men like my son off to fight that war.
• Gary Hartapplied for a commission in the United States Naval Reserve's Standby Reserve Active Status List program in the late 1970s.
Gary Hart U.S. Special Envoy for Northern Ireland:
• In October 2014, President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry named Gary Hart as the new United States Special Envoy for Northern Ireland.
• Gary Hartis the second former U.S. Senator to hold the post. The first was George Mitchell, former seat-mate and former Majority Leader of the United States Senate, who served from 1995 to 2001.
Gary Hart Unknown Facts
• Political thriller writer: In January 2000, Gary Hartrevealed that he is the political thriller writer John Blackthorn, whose books include Sins of the Fathers and I, Che Guevara.
• Gary Hart Appear in TV series: In the third season of the alternate history TV series For All Mankind, Hart wins the 1984 presidential election against Ronald Reagan's Vice President Richard Schweiker.