Last Updated: 15 Nov, 2023 | Views: 84
Other Profession(s): Entrepreneur
Famous For: Former United States Senator
Higher Education: Louisiana State University (BA)
Mary Loretta Landrieu was born on November 23, 1955. Landrieu's interest in politics developed at a young age. As a teenager, she worked on her father's successful campaign for mayor and gained experience in grassroots organizing and campaigning. Throughout her career, Landrieu has been a strong advocate for coastal restoration and protection.
Mary Landrieu Career:
Mary Landrieu Political Party: Democratic
Louisiana State Legislature:
• 1987-1995: She then served in the Louisiana State Senate, representing the 16th district.
2014 Senate Election:
• In 2014, Landrieu ran for re-election to the U.S. Senate but faced a competitive race against Republican candidate Bill Cassidy. She ultimately lost the election, and Cassidy became the new Senator from Louisiana.
• Mary Landrieu comes from a prominent political family. Her brother, Mitch Landrieu, also served as the Mayor of New Orleans.
Youngest Female Senator at the Time:
• Mary Loretta Landrieu election marked a significant milestone for women in politics.
Advocacy for Gulf Coast Recovery:
• Mary Loretta Landrieu fought for federal funding and resources to aid in the recovery and reconstruction process.
Landrieu is known for her moderate political stance and willingness to work across party lines. This approach sometimes put her at odds with more progressive members of her own party.
Mary Landrieu Unknown facts:
• Post-Senate Activities: Following her departure from the Senate, Landrieu has been involved in various activities. She has worked as a consultant and lobbyist, focusing on energy, coastal issues, and disaster recovery.