Last Updated: 29 Jul, 2023 | Views: 83
Famous For: 52nd Speaker Of The United States House Of Representatives From 2007 To 2011
Higher Education: Trinity College (BA)
Net Worth: $290 Million Approx.
Nancy Patricia Pelosi was born on 26th March 1940. Previously, she served as speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives from 2007 to 2011. She has been a U.S. representative from California since 1987. Pelosi is the only woman to serve as speaker of the U.S. House. She served as chair of the California Democratic Party during her first term in Congress in 1981. Her first election to Congress was in 1987 when she was elected to her 18th term. The dean of California's congressional delegation, she represents the state at the federal level.
Nancy Pelosi Career:
Nancy Pelosi Early Life and Education
• Nancy Pelosi was born into an Italian-American family in Baltimore. She was the youngest of seven children born to Annunciata M. "Nancy" D'Alesandro and Thomas D'Alesandro Jr.
• She graduated from the Institute of Notre Dame, a Catholic high school for girls. In 1962, she graduated with a B.A. in political science from Trinity College, Washington, DC.
Nancy Pelosi Member Of The House Of Representatives For California
• Nancy Pelosi was re-elected for a full term the following year after winning the special election on June 2, 1987. Her Democratic majority has allowed her to easily win elections in her district in the years since then. Her re-election rate has averaged 80% each time.
Nancy Pelosi Speaker Of The House (2007-11)
• On January 4, 2007, Pelosi became the first female speaker of the House (and the first Californian).
Nancy Pelosi Second Term As Speaker Of The House
• Nancy Pelosi became the first person in over 60 years to serve two non-consecutive terms as Speaker in January 2019.
Nancy Pelosi Visit To Taiwan (2022)
• Nancy Pelosi traveled to Taiwan in August 2022 despite Chinese threats, becoming the first US official to do so in nearly 25 years.
• China considers the island a rebel province, which escalated tensions after Pelosi's controversial visit.
Nancy Pelosi End As Speaker Of The US House Of Representatives
• Her leadership position ended on January 3, 2023, after Republicans won a majority in the House after the 2022 midterm elections, making her arguably the most influential woman in American politics.
Nancy Pelosi Personal Life
• Nancy Pelosi met Paul Francis Pelosi while attending college. The couple was married at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Baltimore on September 7, 1963. They lived in San Francisco for a while, where Paul's brother Ronald Pelosi served on the Board of Supervisors.
• The Pelosis have five children, including Christine and Alexandra, and nine grandchildren.