Last Updated: 13 Nov, 2023 | Views: 143
Other Profession(s): Business Men
Famous For: Former Governor of Tennessee
Higher Education: Harvard University (BA)
Philip Norman Bredesen Jr. was born on November 21, 1943. As chair of Silicon Ranch Corporation, a company that develops solar power stations, he has been in this role since 2011. Announcing his candidacy for the open seat in the United States Senate created by Bob Corker's decision not to seek reelection in 2018, Bredesen announced his candidacy on December 6, 2017. In August 2018, he defeated Republican nominee Marsha Blackburn in the Democratic primary.
Phil Bredesen Career:
Political party: Democratic
Phil Bredesen started his career in business. In 1975, he co-founded HealthAmerica Corporation, a healthcare management company.
U.S. Senate Run:
• Bredesen ran for the U.S. Senate as a Democrat. He faced Republican candidate Marsha Blackburn in the general election. Despite a competitive race, Bredesen was unsuccessful in his bid for the Senate seat, and Blackburn emerged as the winner.
• Business Ventures: Before entering politics, Bredesen made a name for himself as a successful entrepreneur. In the 1970s, he co-founded HealthAmerica Corporation, a healthcare management company.
• Bipartisanship: As governor, he implemented several bipartisan initiatives, including the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship program, which provided scholarships to Tennessee students based on academic achievement.
• Healthcare Reforms: Bredesen gained national attention for his efforts in reforming healthcare in Tennessee. While initially successful, the program faced financial challenges and underwent significant changes during his tenure.
Phil Bredesen Unknown facts:
• Senate Run: In 2018, Bredesen ran for the United States Senate, representing Tennessee.
• Philanthropy: Bredesen is actively involved in philanthropic endeavors.