Last Updated: 18 Jun, 2023 | Views: 139
Profession: Fashion Designer
Other Profession(s): Business Women, Activist
Famous For: Vivienne Westwood (Label)
Higher Education: Graduated
Vivienne Westwood, born Vivienne Isabel Swire on April 8, 1941, in Tintwistle, Derbyshire, England, is a renowned British fashion designer and activist. Known for her daring and unconventional designs, Westwood has made a significant impact on the fashion industry. From her early days as the creator of the iconic punk-inspired boutique "Sex" to her establishment of the influential Vivienne Westwood fashion label, she has continuously pushed boundaries and challenged the status quo. Westwood's innovative designs and fearless approach have earned her global recognition and numerous awards. Beyond her fashion endeavors, she is also an outspoken advocate for environmental and social causes.
Vivienne Westwood Establishing a Fashion Empire
• 1971: Vivienne opened her boutique, "Let It Rock," on Kings Road in London, which later evolved into "Sex" and showcased her provocative designs.
• 1981: Vivienne collaborated with Malcolm McLaren, her partner at the time, to create the "Pirate" collection, which introduced her signature style and gained international attention.
• Vivienne established her eponymous fashion label, Vivienne Westwood, known for its avant-garde designs, blending punk aesthetics with high fashion.
Vivienne Westwood Fashion Innovations and Iconic Collections
• 1983: Vivienne introduced the "Mini-Crini" collection, featuring her reinterpretation of the Victorian-era crinoline.
• 1993: Vivienne debuted her influential "Anglomania" collection, combining British heritage elements with modern punk-inspired designs.
• 1997: Vivienne presented her "Harris Tweed" collection, celebrating traditional Scottish textiles and craftsmanship.
Vivienne Westwood Global Recognition and Awards
• Vivienne received numerous prestigious awards, including the British Fashion Council's Designer of the Year Award in 1990, 1991, and 2006.
• Vivienne was named a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 2006 for her contributions to fashion.
Vivienne Westwood Activism and Environmental Advocacy
• Vivienne is known for her outspoken activism on various social and political issues, including climate change, human rights, and anti-consumerism.
• Vivienne co-founded the non-profit organization Climate Revolution to raise awareness about environmental issues and promote sustainable practices.